Friday, September 08, 2006

Other News From Madrid

We received the books and art supplies we sent ourselves in July, so now we can really start working in earnest. Although I’m finding it hard to get to work today because I have to deal with all the letters and requests we are getting regarding our moustache post of September 6th. Our server is in danger of crashing, so please, no more emails!

We had no idea that moustaches were going to be so popular this season. So here is another photo for our faithful readers: Boom.

I’ll tell you, for my money I just don’t think it gets any better than that. I still can’t figure out why A shakes her head so vigorously and grimaces so strongly when I come into her studio. I keep telling her that the moustache is going to be the new capri pants for 2006-2007. But she doesn’t want to listen. She’ll see. You’ll all see. I shall be vindicated! This is not about me, this is about the sacrifices that I am making everyday for the benefit of the world of fashion!


In the photo above, A looks up the word "trazar" in one of our two Spanish-English dictionaries.

















And in this photo, A is on her way through the courtyard of our building to purchase a newspaper. The photo is shot from the window in our living room. It turned out that she would also purchase a surprise treat for her doting husband.





The treat was this delicious croissant purchased at our local bakery. To be honest, the glaze was a bit too thick. But it tasted good dunked in a cafe con leche made at home with a special Spanish cafetera.










[Yesterday, after we ate lunch and went swimming in Majadahonda, my aunt drove us to our apartment with all our books. She patiently braved the afternoon traffic (by "afternoon" I mean 8pm) and delivered us safely to our building. For dinner we had embutido and a delicious ensalada. We watched the news, and learned that 8.4 percent of the students matriculated in Spanish schools this semester are foreign born. We also watched clips of Natasha Kampusch's first interview since she escaped from her kidnapper after 8.5 years in captivity. We also watched the Basque terrorist Iñaki Bilbao insult and threaten the judges who were sentencing him for assassinating a government representative. He was shouting and carrying on in his glass cage, yelling things like "I'll shoot you seven times!" and "I'll peel the skin off your bones with my hands!"]



No comments: